Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2012

NFC and WiFi: simplicity and harmony

After I received my Nexus 7 I was very excited about the device. It's a great device and fun to use. But at least here in Germany the fun stops as soon as you leave your home. Since public WiFi is practically not available or expensive as hell your last resort is WiFi tethering with your smartphone.
Lucky enough also my smartphone is an Android device so WiFi tethering is possible and pretty easy to set up. But it still involves several steps. I have to switch tethering on, go to the settings to lookup the given SSID and password (I forget these all the time), activate WiFi on my Nexus 7, select my tethering WiFi and enter the password. And if I'm lucky and typed the password corretcly everything will connect. After a while I will then switch WiFi off on my Nexus 7 (since I don't need it any more) and go on. Often I was pretty upset about the poort battery life of my Galaxy S3, because I forgot to switch off the WiFi tethering.

Introducing rilato

To make this whole process easier and simpler to use and reduce unecessary battery drainiage on my SGS3 I created a small app called 'rilato'. You can get in the Play Store for free without any ads. 
Everything I have to do now to get tethering to work, is start rilato on my SGS3, unlock the screen of my Nexus 7 and hold both together, back to back. (Please not that you need to have rilato installed on both devices) WiFi tethering on my SGS3 will be activated automatically as will WiFi be on the Nexus 7. Also all necessary configuration is send to the Nexus 7 so I have always the correct WiFi configuration to use the tethering on my SGS3.

rilato works on all NFC enabled Android devices. Just download it from the Play Store here for free.
But that is not all rilato can do. Discover it your self or wait for the next blogpost.

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen